Monday 25 March 2013

Dear Scott

A letter to my Husband,

To my dearest Scott,

Yesterday was the day we began our relationship 23 years ago.

(it is not the week earlier where we kissed at a party and then you did not follow through on your promise to call me in the following days. No. It is the day after I approached you at McDonalds and demanded to know what you were doing the following night because I would be inviting myself along!).

We were both 15 years old.

We had more differences than we did similarities but we became inseparable.
Every weekend we saw each other.
Every night we spoke on the phone.

In 3 days time it will be 14 years since we were married.

The stages we have travelled through and the events we have shared together are what makes our life unique.

Schooling, exams, driving, university, employment, moving out of home and even purchasing our first pet...... have all contributed to the life we have created.
The life we share.

The birth of our children was one we survived together.
Our differences were blurred now because we had grown together as one and the morals and values we wanted for our children were the same.

The future was to be happy and hopefully healthy.

Then a situation was thrown at us that tears many couples apart.

We were both told to "go home and enjoy every moment with your daughter".

The news that our daughter had a terminal illness only brought us closer together.
All differences were gone now.
We were now partners in giving all that we can to our precious children.

We support each other through the good and the bad.
We share the joy and the sorrow.
We try so very hard to create happiness when all we both want to do sometimes is curl up and cry.

Recently I have realised that I have taken you for granted.
You have always been there and I knew that you always would be.

You are part of me.
You will always be part of me.
You are the only one that will always be there with me.

I know that you often just "go with the flow".
I organise, plan and decide.
You do not argue or dispute.

Recently you told me that I was "the strongest woman that you know".
My reply is that it is sometimes the person that stands behind you that is stronger.
The person who supports and loves the one at the front.

Scott Nicholds, I am honoured to travel this journey with you.
To search for the positives and happiness.
To enjoy every moment with each other as well as our precious children.

You are such an amazing person and I thank you for coming into my life.

Love always and forever

Amanda
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment